...those are the words the Dr. used today to describe my pregnancy! He was practically speechless at every turn with how well the babies and I are doing at this stage of the game. So, first order of business: Praise God!! We are so thankful that everything is going so incredibly smoothly. The ultrasound showed that these boys are growing well; so well, in fact, the Dr. said he'd be impressed with their size even if it was just a singleton pregnancy at 31 1/2 weeks! They're estimating weighing around 4 1/2 lbs. each. (13 1/2 lbs of baby in there! I've gained a total of 48 lbs.) Baby "A" is on my left side, closest to the cervix, in breech position. Baby "B" is on my right side, now also in breech position (he was head down 3 weeks ago). Baby "C" is sideways across the top, with his head on my right side, right under my ribs. Their hearts are strong and steady, and they move around lots. A and B have had hiccups frequently in the last week or so -- I remember feeling that with Abigail and Dana too. My cervix is about 4.5 cm long... and at this point in a triplet pregnancy, we should be "thrilled" with anything more than 2 cm (not that I thought my cervix was anything I'd ever be "thrilled" about, but I digress.). I'm not experiencing any of the normal complications of swelling, high blood pressure, premature labor, etc. So the relatively minor frustrations of fatigue, discomfort, and just generally feeling large and clumsy are, well, relatively minor in comparison.
Today's appointment leaves us feeling a little more plugged into the medical system here as well. We will have another ultrasound and checkup, and also a consultation with a neonatologist on Monday, June 7. We'll also be meeting soon with an obstetrician and anesthetist to discuss and schedule a C-section -- babies A and B's breech positions rule out the possibility of a natural birth. I'm actually relieved in a lot of ways to not have the option of delivering naturally. The Dr.s we've had contact with themselves don't seem terribly comfortable with it -- even if A and B are in the correct positions, a natural delivery can be risky, especially for baby C (the last one to come out), and it's very difficult to monitor 3 babies simultaneously during a natural labor and delivery. So, that will be a completely new experience for me, having a C-section.
So, we're quickly approaching the home stretch. And while there are still uncertainties, and anything can happen, we have a good sense that these boys are happy to stay where they are for the time being. Which, while occasionally uncomfortable and draining for their mama, is an amazing answer to prayer. Please continue to hold us up in your prayers -- for strength and endurance and patience for me (and for Dan -- in different ways!), for continued health for the 3 boys, for Abigail and Dana, as they go through cycles of dealing with all the changes in their lives, and for all the plans for delivery as they get set into place. We're so thankful for all the prayer support, and for those of you back home taking care of things for us -- we miss being home, but are also very thankful to be here, close to family and close to the care that we need right now.
4 comments:
Hi Hoogland clan,
I was wondering how you and the family were doing the other day and your blog has clearly answered all my questions...I had a good chuckle when this entry began talking candidly about cervixes:) Keeping, you and the rest of your "growing" family in our prayers...Jon, Jana and kids
Hi everyone, glad to hear everything is going good. Our triplets turned 1 today, I can't believe it's been a year already, you story sounds so much like ours no complications, which is so funny because I swole up like a balloon with Ally our oldest lol, keep up the good work. I think of you lots and I feel for ya
Evy and the Crew
hey hooglands!! thats all great news :) loving the updates :) ashley
Praise God from whom all blessings flow ——
Congratulations Dan and Kristen and welcome to your precious sons Davis, Isaac and William.
Thank you God !
The Aslins
Post a Comment