Saturday, June 21, 2008

adventures in potty training... only the beginning!

*sigh* I'm very sick of diapering 2 children. Abigail seems like she should be ready to potty train... stays dry for a couple hours at a time, tells me when she's gone poop, hides in a corner to do her business, etc. We've had the potty out in the bathroom since Christmas, she's sat on it lots and lots (with not much happening... we've had one potty and one poop on it). So today, I decided, we're going to dive right into this thing. She'd been dry for 2 hours, so I gave her a big glass of juice, waited 20 minutes, and sat her on the potty. We read books for 15 minutes, and during that time she sprinkled twice. A start!! But I knew she didn't empty her bladder, so I set the timer for 5 minutes, put a training pants on, and told her we'd go again when the timer rang. Less than 2 minutes later, she goes running for the bathroom. I follow, only to find she's soaked. Okay, try again. Training pants, timer on... 3 minutes, check -- still dry! Timer rings, run to potty... soaked again. :( :( boo. I know that this will take lots of time and energy, but I don't know if I have the requisite patience!! I'm frustrated after a single morning of focusing on it, and I'm sure it will take a long time! oh well... someone recently reminded me that nobody goes to kindergarten still in diapers!

No comments: